Monday, September 19, 2011

Farrah-Moustache

Farrah is a band about which I know very little. They're another power pop forum speculative buy. Basically, if enough people who like the same music I do tell me that I should go out and buy something, I will buy it. I shudder to think of what would happen if these people start flinging themselves off cliffs. I'm just that susceptible to the power of suggestion.

Anyway, if you're like me and you dig power pop, you'll dig Farrah. They have big hooks, sweet harmonies, and nice catchy pop from top to bottom. It's really hard to review these power pop albums because they tend to fall into one of the following two groups: either the entire album is great (but usually not transcendentally so. Let's be reasonable. Power pop is awesome, but it somehow never comes off as important as....say...Bob Dylan or his cronies. Farrah and bands like them are like an evolved version of The Lovin' Spoonful. The Lovin' Spoonful was a great band with a catalogue of highly enjoyable music, but you wouldn't try to tell someone they were the best band of the 60's. There's no way "Do You Believe in Magic" sits on the same pedestal as "Blowin' in the Wind."  Not even John Sebastian would try to tell you that and yes, I did have to look up his name. It's the same reason a comedy will never win an Oscar. It just doesn't carry the weight of supreme importance. Even though "Blowin' in the Wind" did not, in fact, change the world, it gets points for trying. Songs about girls just don't cut it. I don't make the rules, but I definitely know what they are) or the entire album is unlistenable. If you mess up power pop, it blows up in your face. It has a delicate balance and a sure formula (a little Byrds jangle, a dash of Beach Boys harmonies, and a love for all things Beatles). Farrah, like so many other bands has gotten the formula and run with it. They sound just fine, but don't expect them to take a stab a righting social wrongs (even if those who do always seem to fail).

No comments:

Post a Comment