Thursday, April 18, 2013

Indian Killer - Sherman Alexie


Indian Killer is unlike any other book I have ever read. I'm actually still trying to unravel just what happened in the book and how I feel about it. It's certainly an emotional journey as none of the characters are who you think they are. Everything is in flux and everyone is a potential killer. By the end of the book, I had no solid answers, and yet I'm perfectly fine with that. I was warned about this book, and I can't help but wonder how much I would have enjoyed it if I didn't know the experience of reading it would be unsettling.

Indian Killer has a great deal to say about race relations, mental illness, identity, and a great number of other topics, but it never gets preachy or sanctimonious. It merely presents a world in which there is a great deal of tension on a number of different fronts. In fact, it's the world in which we all live. Indian Killer caused me to question a number of the assumptions I've held for years. It was not a comfortable thing to do, but I was satisfied with the effect by the final pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment