Sunday, February 17, 2013

Annie Lennox - Medusa

Medusa finds former Eurythmics vocalist Annie Lennox covering songs from a number of different genres in her own inimitable style. She covers everything from Procol Harem to Bob Marley and from Neil Young to The Clash. Annie Lennox clearly does not mess around. She does precisely what she wants precisely when she wants to do it.

The standout tracks on this album are clearly the fantastic cover of the obscure "No More I Love You's" (I honestly didn't know it was a cover until I looked it up today. Apparently the original is by a band called The Lover Speaks. I can't say for sure, but I think Annie's version wins) and her surprisingly faithful rendition of "A Whiter Shade of Pale." A few of the songs are a little baffling (I'm looking at you, "Take Me to the River") but the album is very strong and a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

Baleeted? No Way. Annie Lennox is awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment