Saturday, July 7, 2012

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea

Toad the Wet Sprocket is one of the greatest bands to come out of the 90's. That is a scientific fact with 5 excellent albums worth of evidence to back it up.

Of all the great Toad albums, Dulcinea is probably the very best (yes, I am aware of the many excellent songs on Pale and Fear, but Dulcinea has always been the best in my book). The thing about Toad the Wet Sprocket is that they have a certain intimacy in their music that is almost unmatched. Dulcinea seems like a real soul-bearing journey, but don't ask me what it's all really about because I really don't know. Toad brings a lyrical depth in which almost nothing is straightforward or easily understood, which is really saying something for a band which only ever seems to get play on adult contempo stations if at all.

This is the part of the review where I would break the album down a little bit and tell you why each of the tracks adds to part of a greater whole, but I can't do that with this album. You just need to take the album in as a whole and get a feel for what it's all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment