Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Tragically Hip - Phantom Power

The Tragically Hip are basically the R.E.M. of Canada, which is fine by me. I love R.E.M. and I love Canada (for my money, "O Canada" is way better than "The Star Spangled Banner" and there is nothing more terrifying than listening to the C of Red sing it in unison) so unless I am engaging in a logical fallacy, I should love The Tragically Hip.

The problem is that I just don't dig Phantom Power very much. I know there are better Tragically Hip albums, but this is the only one I own. Somehow the music just rolls off like water on a duck's butt. It's the same thing I get when I listen to the Foo Fighters. I know they're a good band. I know people like what they do, but somehow I just can't receive them in a way that allows me to enjoy them. I wish I liked this album more, but the part of my brain that enjoys music has no taste for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment