Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Voodoo Glow Skulls - The Band Geek Mafia

Now here's a gem from days gone by. The Band Geek Mafia is an album I picked up during the summer of 1998 when I found myself in desperate need of ska-punk. This album scratched a very specific and very urgent itch at the time, but it still holds up very well 14 years later.

Voodoo Glow Skulls take fast and abrasive Southern California punk and add a talented horn section to the mix. The resulting blend is a little heavier on the punk than the ska, even though the horn section really shines through in nearly every song.

The Band Geek Mafia is probably the strongest collection of songs Voodoo Glow Skulls have ever produced. They tend to be self-referential and tell the tale of kids who kept playing trumpets and trombones long enough to be a part of an awesome band. I love everything about this album, especially because some of the songs hit really close to home for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment