Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game took me over a decade to read. It is a book that everyone told me I should read, but I was never able to get into until this past year. Part of the problem was that the first OSC book I ever read was The Lost Boys. He should never stop being flogged for that book. It was awful on so many levels. Anyway, I finally just sat down and read Ender's Game and guess what? It didn't make me want to punch Orson Scott Card in the face!

This book is a sci-fi classic, and there's a reason for it. Also, there's a reason why it has proven impossible for film adaptation, but you really need to read it to understand. Anyway, Ender's Game does a perfect job of creating a realistic world, warts and all, and  allowing a flawed protagonist to negotiate that world even though he is constantly being manipulated. I have to admit that I saw the twist ending on this book coming from a mile away, but I still found the overall experience mind-bending. This is the sort of book you should allow yourself to get swept up in because it will really take you places.


No comments:

Post a Comment