Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I don't do mysteries. As far as this genre is concerned, you can take your Cat Who Talked to Ghosts and shove it up your "A" is for Alibi. I'm just not a fan. That said, I loved every page of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

There are a few reasons why Sherlock Holmes succeeds where oh so many others fail (and before you ask, no, I haven't read any books which feature Hercule Poirot). First, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle started writing these books before the genre was so tired and blown out that cats started solving crimes. Second, he created a character in Sherlock Holmes who is so unique and interesting that we're still fascinated by him 100+ years later. Finally, the logic by which the case is solved is so impeccable and irresistible that you'll hardly be aware that you're reading a mystery novel. If this book taught me anything it's that I ought to read more Sherlock Holmes.


No comments:

Post a Comment