Monday, January 14, 2013

First 10 - Golden Age Captain America

I really really wanted to like Golden Age Captain America comics. I've always been a fan of the Cap, and I don't mind reading old-timey comics. The problem with the old-timey Captain America comics is that they generally fall into the realm of thinly veiled war propaganda. It's not that I didn't support the troops in WWII and it's not that I don't enjoy watching the star-spangled man punch Hitler in the face (something he does on a lot of covers, but not so much in the actual comics), it's just that I don't need to be sold on the war at home for a war that has been over since before my father was born.

The early Captain America comics were pretty standard Golden Age fare. I know that Stan Lee got his start with these comics, but he wasn't yet the Silver Age marvel that we all know and love. Basically, Golden Age Captain America shows shades of the things I would eventually love about the series, but they don't fully manifest themselves here.

The most satisfying parts of the first 10 Golden Age Captain America comics were the things that held over into his reanimation in the Silver Age. This includes his origins in the super soldier program, his nemesis relationship with Red Skull, and his costume, which has changed surprisingly little over the years (the shield, of course, has changed, and I prefer the new one). Anyway, I didn't enjoy Golden Age Captain America nearly as much as I wanted to. I'm sure I'll read this series eventually, but it won't be next on my list. Here's where it falls in the standings.


  1. Batman
  2. Amazing Spider-Man
  3. Fantastic Four
  4. Booster Gold
  5. The Punisher
  6. Golden Age Green Lantern
  7. The Avengers
  8. Golden Age Captain America
  9. Golden Age Blue Beetle
  10. Aquaman

No comments:

Post a Comment