Monday, July 25, 2011

Eurythmics-Greatest Hits

I find Annie Lennox incredibly weird and not at all attractive. I thought I'd throw that out there right at the first. I guess my dominant white male mind would prefer that I be attracted to the female lead singer of whichever group I happen to be listening to at any given moment, but that isn't the case with Eurythmics. The beauty of not being attracted to Annie Lennox is that I am able to listen to the music without being encumbered by the various things that my brain does on the side when listening to ...oh...say Susanna Hoffs (my brain is in love with her).

Eurythmics are always better than I remember them being. I always think of them as this somewhat dark and weird cousin to Erasure and other such bands, but I forget how good the actual music is. There are 14 songs on this greatest hits compilation and you can mark me down as a fan of a solid 11 of them. That's a pretty high shooting percentage. Jimmer would be lucky to do so well in the NBA.

I could go off on other tangents, but the one I really want to go off on is "Sisters are Doin' it For Themselves." Now I think of myself as a pretty evolved man, especially for a white guy. I think women deserve a fair shake, and I've gone so far as to say so on blogs that nobody reads. That's why I find myself more than qualified to say that feminists should cut the Lilith Fair crap, ditch Helen Reddy's "I am Woman" and just stick with "Sisters are Doin' it For Themselves" as the all-time feminist anthem. Lilith Fair sucks. Mainly I don't like Sarah McLachlan and her boring music. Also, "I am Woman" is the least anthemic anthem I have ever heard. Mel Torme is edgier than Helen Reddy, and he's the Velvet Fog. The original version of "I am Woman" is so understated it could be drowned out by an infant sighing heavily. "Sisters are Doing it For Themselves" is in-yer-face with attitude and soul. It says everything that needs to be said and does so with gusto. If you want de facto oppressors like me to shake in our booties, you have to go with the right song. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment