Monday, July 25, 2011

The Exies-Inertia

I really don't do this kind of music. This modern rock metal-ish alternative Edge 103.9 crap. This is music for musclehead guys who wear wife-beaters (their words, not mine), have barb-wire tattoos, and stand outside convenience stores and ask innocent passers-by like myself questions to which there isn't a right answer like, "What are you looking at?!" It's music for people who don't like music but like to feel like they're cool. It's music for people who have no taste and still want to bang their heads.

If this is the way I feel about The Exies, Hoobastank, Chevelle, and other such similar schlock, why then is this CD in my collection? Two reasons: 1) I got it for free. I own a promo copy that the record store I used to frequent didn't want to play. They handed it to me with some other free stuff that may or may not have been any good (I think I got Kenna's debut album in that pile, and it was really good. I can't say for certain, though). 2) Sometimes I like to listen to this kind of music. Yes, about once a year I'll make a mix of this exact type of crappy overproduced rock and pretend I'm a tough guy. Why? I don't know. I have needs that Nick Drake can't always meet.

Anyway, this album is some pretty standard crappy crap. It's not unique, it's not original. It won't stick in your head and it won't be remembered years from now. If you can acquire a copy of it for free, I recommend it for those days when you want to listen to crap (like how sometimes you really want to eat McDonald's even though you know it will absolutely disappoint).

No comments:

Post a Comment