Saturday, July 2, 2011

Robbed!

So I waited 66+ issues for Jean Grey and Cyclops to finally get together. Those issues were filled with Cyclops' self-loathing and whining about why he never busted a move on Jean (among other things). I expected Scott and Jean's relationship story to be rich and full (mainly because of all the whining I had to endure), but instead I got this couple of frames in one of the post Giant-Size X-Men issues:


It's Scott and Jean casually sharing feelings as if they've been in a relationship since forever. I feel like I've been robbed. They don't tell how Scott finally got around to sharing his feelings with Jean. Who made the first move? How did they broach the subject? How relieved was Jean when Scott finally manned up? I just feel like I was robbed of a very special moment. So many of the early X-Men issues seemed to be building to the point where Scott got over himself, learned to deal with his powers, and became man enough to talk to Jean about feelings. It just feels wrong to skip over the story of how Scott got it together when it was such a major storyline in all the early issues.

In the first issue after The Dark Phoenix saga (after Jean is dead) they actually do go back and briefly explain how Scott finally got the gumption to talk to Jean about his feelings. This is a bit hollow because 1) Jean is dead by this point 2) Scott reverts back to his whiny ways and 3) it happens 30 issues after Cyclops and Jean say the L-word (not that one. The other L-word. Love) casually in the frames above. By the time they tell you how it happened, you're already used to Cyclops and Jean as an item.

Anyway, I just felt robbed. Sure, it's a pretty girly thing to feel robbed about, but I feel robbed just the same. I want them to press the reset button on the X-Men origins again and try it all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment