Monday, July 25, 2011

Jason Falkner-Presents Author Unknown

Jason Falkner is the former lead guitarist of Jellyfish. Jellyfish is my #2 favorite band of all time (yes, even though they only had 2 studio albums). There was no question as to whether or not I would enjoy his solo work. My brain wouldn't let me not like it.

The big question for any artist stepping out on their own after being a member of a quintessential band (you may not consider Jellyfish a quintessential band, but if you're a power pop fan they're as important as The Beatles) is whether or not they will sound like the band they came from. Jason Falkner sounds enough like his own self to make his solo albums worth owning and enjoying.

Every song on Author Unknown is a work of pure pop craft. Part of the reason Falkner left Jellyfish was because he didn't feel like he was getting a fair shake with songwriting duties. When you hear some of the gems on this album such as "Before My Heart Attacks" and "Miss Understanding" it's easy to see why Falkner felt he had more to offer Jellyfish. If you like power pop, chances are you'll like this. I know I do (man that's a dumb way to end a review).

No comments:

Post a Comment