Monday, April 30, 2012

Dave Pirner - Faces and Names

You know Dave Pirner as the lead singer of Soul Asylum, which was my favorite band for nearly a year (they were ousted from the top spot in '94 when Weezer's self-titled debut dropped, but I'll always have a place in my heart for Soul Asylum) back in the day. Anyway, this is Dave Pirner's solo debut, and it's a decent listen. I used to put "Someday Love" on mixes for girls I liked because it's a non-specific love song and gave me wiggle room if anyone ever confronted me (nobody ever did). Songs like "Never Recover" "Faces and Names" and "Start Treating People Right" are exactly the sort of songs you write when you're the former frontman of a great 90's rock band and you suddenly find yourself getting older and having to make sense of it all. And I mean that in the best way. There's just a little more wisdom in Pirner's voice than there was when he was laying down Grave Dancer's Union. The extra years suit Pirner and make for a nice listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment