Monday, April 16, 2012

Owsley - s/t

Will Owsley is a power pop great whose music I discovered a bit late. I found out about him right before he tragically took his own life in 2010. He was a founding member of The Semantics, a classic 90's power pop band. He released two solo records before his untimely death, this is the first of those two, and it is awesome. I can't seem to stop bringing up Owsley's death because it was just part of discovering his music. I bought this album, found myself wanting more, looked the dude up online and found his fans in mourning.

Anyway, Owsley's self-titled debut album is a study in power pop that towers above the many mediocre entries in the genre. Every song is a finely-crafted gem, and the production is top notch. Will Owsley was obviously a Richard X. Heyman type who took great pride in making every aspect of his music just-so. Find this album if you can. You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment