Sunday, May 19, 2013

Band of Horses - Everything All the Time

The first chord of the first song (aptly titled "The First Song") on this, Band of Horses' first album is both beautiful and discordant, both hopeful and tragic. This dichotomy perfectly describes Band of Horses. They manage to be various divergent things all at once. The first chord of "The First Song" tells you everything you need to know.

I was a bit skeptical about Band of Horses for reasons I can't possibly explain. I think as I get older I'm simply less able to accept new music as both valid and good. Mine is a rapidly closing musical canon, which is a shame. Anyway, Everything All the Time is a perfect name for Band of Horses' first album. They bring together Shins-eque indie with Neil Young-esque folk with a Muse-esque vastness, toss in a number of other elements, flip it all over, and serve it up with a special sauce of unknown origins.

I became aware of Band of Horses because of this video right here. Yes, that's some of the best trials riding I've ever seen, but it also features the best song on this album. Give it a view and see if you don't end up buying this album.

Baleeted? On the contrary. This album bears revisiting...a lot of revisiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment