Thursday, May 31, 2012

Radiohead - The Bends

I'm not a Radiohead fanboy. I have been repeatedly criticized by my other music friends because I don't bow at the altar of Radiohead's musical genius. Sure, I get it. I know that Radiohead is the most highly experimental yet publicly accessible band in the world. They do precisely whatever they please and we're all supposed to say it's genius and listen to it over and over. I'm not going to say they aren't genius, and I'm not going to say that their music isn't good. As a matter of preference, I just don't listen to Radiohead much. I own all their albums (most of them digitally), but I rarely dig them up. I just generally veer more toward the ostensibly simplistic than the overtly complex. If that makes me a simpleton, I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it.

All that rant said, I really like The Bends. Radiohead's earlier albums just tended to be much more accessible to people like me who like their music to be fairly accessible. Sure, I have no idea what "Fake Plastic Trees" is about (maybe it's about exactly what it seems to be about, but that doesn't seem like something Radiohead would do) but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. The Bends is just a fine collection of songs that is just normal enough for simpletons like me and just weird enough for Radiohead fanboys.


No comments:

Post a Comment