Thursday, January 12, 2012

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Jackson

MF and the GG's are the preeminent punk cover band. I own most of their albums and have seen them in concert more than once. The bring both a silliness and a musical talent to their covers that make them much better than any other punk cover outfit I can think of (That's right Manic Hispanic).

Jackson is so named because both tracks on this record were performed by Michael Jackson (technically "I'll Be There" is a Jackson 5 song, but Michael still sung it). The two tracks covered are "Ben" and "I'll Be There." Both songs benefit from the Me First and the Gimme Gimmes treatment. If a song can withstand being sped up and rocked out in the MF and the GG's formula and still be moving, it's a great song. I love both songs on this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment